Afghanistan Live Blog
350,000 soldiers and police to be re-screened
The Afghan government has said it will re-examine the files of 350,000 police and soldiers in an effort to curb insider attacks on international forces stationed in the Central Asian nation.
Wednesday's announcement follows a meeting by high-level officials in the government of Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president.
At the meeting, the Kabul government accused "foreign spies" of instigating the so-called "green-on-blue" attacks that have killed 40 foreigners so far this year.
Aimal Faizi, spokesman for the president said:
Reports presented by the security officials in this meeting blamed the infiltration by foreign spy agencies into Afghan
security force ranks as responsible for the rise in the individual shootings ... [including] neighbouring countries
So far in 2012, these insider attacks have been responsible for 13 per cent of foreign deaths.
In response, Kabul's National Security Committee agreed to improve the vetting of army and police recruits by requiring a more stringent test questionnaire and biometric data on all personnel, both new and current.
More undercover intelligence officers would be recruited and placed in Afghan security forces to keep an eye on soldiers and
police, while security force members with families in neighbouring countries would be heavily scrutinised for possible
relations or exposure to cross-border fighters.
Faizi said the addition of these undercover officers will be to:
Study every single case of every individual who is either in the Afghan army or the Afghan police who has family
either in Iran or in Pakistan.