Afghanistan Live Blog
Cameron plans further troop pullouts
David Cameron, the British prime minister, has said he will pull more troops out of Afghanistan next year.
In a previously unannounced trip to Helmand province on Wednesday, Cameron said 500 troops would be withdrawn in December.
Cameron confirmed that a detailed decision on British withdrawals during 2013 would be announced at the end of the year.
Britain is expected to confirm its strategy only after a planned meeting in October of Britain's National Security Council, which includes ministers, military commanders and spy chiefs.
At 9,000-strong, the British contingent is second only to the United States in terms of troop strength among western forces in the Central Asian nation.