Bahrain Live Blog
Bahrain - Apr 14, 2012 - 11:44
A Bahraini 15-year-old was in intensive care on Saturday after being shot by anti-riot police while attending the funeral of a citizen journalist killed during a protest late last month, the opposition said.
His shooting comes after Formula One bosses said the Bahrain Grand Prix would go ahead next week as planned, despite fears it could be targeted by anti-government demonstrations.
Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Aziz was among several people wounded during the funeral ceremony for Ahmed Ismail, 22, said Al-Wefaq, the main Shia opposition movement in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom.
He sustained bullet wounds to the chest as police fired tear gas and live rounds at mourners.
The sport's governing body, the FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone both said in Shanghai, venue of this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, that the Bahrain event would proceed as scheduled.
The controversial Bahrain event, set for April 22, has overshadowed the lead-up to Sunday's race in Shanghai and many teams are believed to have grave concerns.
It was postponed last year after protests broke out against the government, and was thought to be in jeopardy once again because of the more than year-long demonstrations.
US-based watchdog Human Rights Watch said the decision to go ahead with the race would "give Bahrain's rulers the opportunity they are seeking to obscure the seriousness of the country's human rights situation".
For more detail and context, read our news story: Teen protester 'shot in chest' in Bahrain
Click here to visit our special coverage page on Bahrain.
(Several thousand people joined a funeral procession for Ismail shot during a protest two weeks ago - Photo: Reuters)