Al Jazeera Blogs

A bulldozer has destroyed the house of Gaddafi inside the Bab al-Aziziya compound [EPA]

Libya Live Blog

Libya - Aug 23, 2011 - 12:37

Last modified: 23 Aug 2011 09:37
The International Criminal Court has said it had never received official confirmation from the Libyan rebels' council that Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of Muammar Gaddafi, had been captured. 

Saif's arrest had been reported by the rebels but he appeared before foreign media in Tripoli early on Tuesday, raising questions as to the rebels' credibility.
 
"There was no official confirmation from the National Transitional Council," Fadi el-Abdallah, an ICC official, said.
"Different answers were given. That was a little ambiguous."
He added that statements from both the ICC and the prosecutor on Monday said they had received information about the arrest but that they were trying to confirm this. 

The office of the prosecutor, which told the Reuters news agency early on Monday it had confirmation from sources that Saif had been arrested, has not yet responded to requests for comment.