Syria Live Blog
UNHCR says up to one million people have been internally displaced since the Syrian conflict began.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has released a report on the situation in Syria. Some highlights:
- According to UNHCR, up to one million people have been internally displaced since the conflict began.
- In Haritan [Aleppo province], only 2,000 of 40,000 residents remain.
- In Deir al-Zor, an estimated 80 per cent of the population (approximately 192,000 people) have reportedly left.
- In Damascus, more than 2,000 people have taken refuge in 11 UNRWA schools and are receiving emergency assistance. Others are sheltering with host families.
- Over the last fortnight, the number of refugees registered and assisted by the UN and host communities in
neighbouring countries has increased to nearly 120,000.